Wild Bird Society of Shanghai
Wild Bird Society of Shanghai was founded voluntarily by a group of people who care about the protection of wild birds in 2004. It is an independent organization under the leadership of Shanghai Wildlife Conservation Association with 105 members. It is committed to conducting surveys and monitoring wild birds in Shanghai and the surrounding areas, saving wild birds and the promotion of bird-watching and the protection of habitats.
Objectives of SWBS:
- Protecting wild birds and their habitats so as to protect the whole natural environment through promoting bird-watching, saving wild birds, conducting surveys on wild birds and organizing related education programme.
- Shanghai Citizen's Bird Race: Organized within the "Love Bird Week" period with the aim of promoting birdwatching. This activity has been held for 5 consecutive years.
- Shanghai Bird Festival: Organized in every Autumn to promote the conservation of birds and their habitats. This event has been held for 3 consecutive years.
- Training courses for nature interpreters: It is hoped that the courses can help to train some local nature interpreters.
- Bird-watching promotion at Shanghai Botanical Garden: The promotional work is carried out by the members every month.
Wild Bird Salvation
- Rescue and release wild birds.
- Publish materials to introduce wild bird rescue
Survey and monitoring of wild birds
- Egret survey
- Wild bird survey in Songjiang area in Shanghai
- Wild bird survey in Fengxian, Shanghai
- Wild bird survey in Ludi Garden
- Be responsible of the bird survey part of wildlife habitat assessment
- Wild bird survey in Nanhui Dongtan
- China coastal waterbird census
- Wild bird surveys in other regions in Shanghai
Education programme on the protection of birds and their habitats
- Project funded by Asian Waterbird Conservation Fund: To promote the conservation of Nanhui Dongtan and the wild birds there.
- Project funded by WWF Yellow Sea Ecoregion Conservation Fund: To promote the biodiversity at Nanhui Dongtan.
- Handbook for birdwatching beginners
- Handbook for wild bird rescue (both hard- and soft-copy)
- Leaflets for the common birds in Shanghai
- Leaflets for the waterbirds in Shanghai
- "Wildlife around us - Birds"
- "Shanghai Bird Report"
- Leaflets for discouraing the consumption of wildlife
- Introduction of the Hooded Crane
- Promotion of the Bar-tailed Godwit
- Shanghai common birds poker
- Shanghai common plants poker
- Leaflets for the common birds at Shanghai Botanical Garden
Tel: 8600-13764527616, +86-021-27123068